Monday, September 28, 2009

28 September - Galvaston

Well, I am in Houston. Who wants to guess where my first area is??? Galveston baby!!!! Yea thats right it is the island right off the coast of houston. Its is pretty awesome. My address there is:

Elder Steven Johnson
102 Strand Street #30
Galveston, TX 77550

Well, a lot has been going on the past couple of weeks. We woke up early Tuesday morning at 4:45am, and got to the airport. I got to call Mom and Dad and Kim at 7:00am California time and that was nice. On the airplane, I sat next to another Elder so I took a good nap. We got to Houston and met the mission president. Then we went in a big van with the president's assistents and they took us to a church and there were elders there waiting for us to take us "running" (Running is when you go aorund and you try to talk to as many people as you can). So, my runner took me to a place called Glendale Park and apparently it's a really rough area. One of the more dangerous parts in the mission, but we went and taught people and it was fun.

Then, we went to the mission home and met the mission president's family. They made us some enchiladas and it was yummy. Then, I got interveiwed by the mission president and got to know him and he is a really cool guy and I like him a lot. He also has a very nice family.

Then, we slept over at a zone elders' house; well, me, Elder Breeze and 2 more elders did. And guess what one of his name is? Elder Mike Jones, and he knows Cheryl and Tyler crazy!!! So we had a good time talking and stuff. In the morning, we found out who our trainers were and where we were going. My trainer's name is Elder Roberts, and he is a twin, and his twin is in the same mission as us! He is a big NBA fan and his favorite team is the Houston Rockets. But he still has respect for the Lakers, so that's good. He is 6'0 and is from Nor Cal (Manteca to be exact).

My first day out in the mission field was cool. We went around on our bikes and I met some people. We also got to teach some people and we ate at some members' home, the Stouts. They are really nice. Then we went home and I unpacked and we talked and planned. It was a really fun day.

The 2nd day, we had a district meeting and I met the missionaries in our district. There are 2 other elders and 2 sisters. Me, Elder Roberts, Elder Stack, Elder Moline, Sister Hammar, and Sister Campbell. We have the power squad district and we are doing some good work. After the meeting, we ate at Subway and then split up and started teaching the word to people. While we were riding the bikes, I hopped up onto a curb and almost fell. Then, I was riding pretty fast to catch up and I was like, Elder Roberts that was a close one. I almost fell, and then 1 minute later I hit a ditch in the sidewalk and flew over my handle bars and ate some pavement. I didn't get seriously injured, but my right hand got cut up on my palm. Then we ate dinner at another member's house, the Sheffields. They like to cook and they tried a new dish out and it was really good!

We get dinner every night from members here which is awesome! Sunday came around and we go to the English ward and Spanish branch. This is the only area where we get to teach in English and Spanish. So, the Spanish branch was cool and they talk really fast. They also cook us food after church, and it was really goooooood! I only could stay in the Spanish branch sacrament meeting for the 1st talk because guess what? We had 2 baptisms we had to get ready for! We baptized a lady named Tammy and her daughter Sara! There was also a lady named Amis that is Chinese and she is moving to Malaysia. So I got lucky being "born" in Galveston where we had some baptisms the first week I was here. :)

Later that night, we went over to a man's house named Mike Garcia, and he cooked us some salmon and it was sooo goood. Sorry Mom, it beats any that I had back home :) We took him with us to do some door knocking and the first door we knock the people answer and right away say come in come in. And they were from El Salvador and we taught them the 1st lesson right there and I told them the 1st vision in Spanish and we have a return appointment with them this week and I am really excited. We also met some other people from Mexico and there where tons of mosquitos and I have a ton of mosquito bites on my right arm; like 30. I don't know what's up with those. They just like my sweet personality ;) Hahahaha, well anyway. I love it here and I am having a blast and learning a lot. And this week has been super busy! But I have to go and I love you all!!!
-Elder Johnson

p.s. My email time is not timed anymore but we are only allowed to email for 1 hour. So you can send me emails. If you want to send me pictures, put them in Word and then I can see them. And I am only allowed to email family. Sorry friends, but you can still write me letters!!:)

No comments: