Tuesday, May 31, 2011

31 May—Brazos

Hello family!

Things here in Rosenberg are going well! Elder Garrido and I continue to work, find and teach. The thing that I have loved more than anything from my mission is learning to study the scriptures. I love doing topic studies, and they say we need to follow the spirit while we teach people, but I truly feel we can apply that to our own personal studies. That while we study we listen to our hearts, and we ask the question of what would God have me learn today. Or what would God have me do to be a better person, and we study it. This is a personal example of what I mean. About a month and a half ago, I really felt in my soul that I needed to re-study the mighty change of heart, and while I studied that, it took me to different topics, like the sacrament, our covenants, the spirit, and pride. And I just enjoyed linking them all together, trying to figure out how they apply to each other and running with it. Just this week, I moved on to something different. But this is the key to it all. You need to write what you are learning down in a study journal. Otherwise the Lord will not reveal things as easily, and I feel it is because we will end up forgetting it all. There is a scripture in D&C that says in times past your mind has been darkened because you have taken lightly the things you have received (something like that). I know that a study journal will help us receive more light.

Right now I am studying the priesthood and it has just been awesome. I have realized that pride and the priesthood really go together. That if we have pride, we will not have priesthood power. I still have a lot to learn and I am excited to study it for a few more weeks.

I hope that everything is going well with the family, and congrats on the baby blessing Cheryl and Tyler!

Have a great week!
-Elder Johnson

No comments: