Monday, January 25, 2010

25 Jan - Galveston

Hey everyone-

This week has been Crazy. And after this crazy week, I am actually kind of relieved that I am getting transferred to a new area. I found out that I am going to be serving in one of the total Spanish areas so I am really excited to start to really learn Spanish. I don't know where exactly but I will find out on Wednesday.

This week was definitely crazy, but also a big time for my companion and I to grow. This week will be known as Anti Week. We have been doing our 10 oyms and everything was great, the people were very nice until Sunday. Sunday after church, I get a call from a recent convert's parent telling me that their kids are not going to be going to church anymore because of the weekly young men and young women activities. I had to quickly find out what the real problem was and fix it. So, after that I was very flustered, but the problem was solved and the kids can still come to church.

After that, we got on our bikes and started out 13 mile bike ride home. The first guy I talked to told me that I don't know who Jesus Christ is, and that he hopes that I could one day know who Jesus is like he does. Then for the next few people we got some rejections and they weren't the normal "no thank you" or "I am busy maybe another day," they were rude ones. So, we decided to try a new spot and we talk to some Hispanic guys who say they don't believe in the Book of Mormon, they believe in Prophets, and so we got to explain how we have a Prophet of God that leads and Guides our church here on the earth, and we got a chance to explain to him how that happened. Then after that we talked to the nicest old lady and she was very sweet and she told us that she was glad that we did this together because its very dangerous out there and everything. But then the big one came and there was a lady who threw all of her anti-mormon stuff at us trying to prove out religion was wrong and all we did was ask if she wanted a free movie about Jesus Christ. My companion told me that she was the most Anti person he had ever met on his mission. After that, we decided to find a calm place in a park where there was no one and read out of the Bible and The Book of Mormon and we felt a lot better.

I am grateful for the scriptures and for the opportunity that we have to read them and feel the comfort and the love from our heavenly father. I am also grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ because it truly does bless families. I can see how much it has blessed my family. I am grateful for my parents and the love and patience that they have had in my life especially when I was an obnoxious and crazy high-schooler. I am also grateful for all my sisters and their example of being obedient to the commandments and being good parents to their kids. I am also grateful for all of my brothers in law for the example they are to me in being good husbands and fathers and teaching their families the Gospel and doing all they can to follow it. Thanks y'all :)

Well, I got to get going. I'll let y'all know what my new address is next Monday!
-Elder Johnson

No comments: