Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Dec 21 - Galveston

Hello Family and friends!

This week was a kind of slow week because of transfers. We had to say a lot of goodbyes and a lot of hellos. Elder Roberts moved to the inner Houston area, so he is now down in the city. My new companion's name is Elder Christiansen and he is from Blanding UT. He has 2 transfers left in his mission. He likes to play the guitar and the cool thing with him is that he was my zone leader but now he is my companion too, so I am learning a lot from him everyday. We have gone on a lot of exchanges with each other before, so for the past couple of days it has felt like one big exchange. I went and introduced him to a couple of the members and our investigators and half of them have met him before so it was pretty funny. They were all anticipating a new face and then they saw him and were like oh hey. I think I have met you before. We have been riding our bikes hard this week and it's pretty funny because my new companion has been in a car for a long time, so we come home and lays down because he is really tired. I hope I stay on a bike so I can stay in shape.

We really want to work with OYMing (opening your mouth, talking to people) so we thought of a plan. At every district meeting we would total up the total OYM's for the companionship and whomever had the most OYMs would get a trophy. Our trophy is a stuffed animal that we found in the closet (a camel), and he is called Olly the OYMing camel and he is pretty cool. So, if you were to win the trophy, you would get to add something to Olly. This week we won, so we gave him a neck tie. I got the idea to add something to him from Boy Scouts back in the day, because I remember at Boy Scout camp if we were the cleanest, we got a big stick or some sort of trophy and our troop would get to add something to it. So, we are doing that with Olly.

The OYMing helps a lot because we have a lot of new potential investigators and this week is going to be an awesome week. We want to extend 3 baptismal dates to people and try to OYM 10 people each every day. So, that's 20 people a day, every day. So, by the end of the week that would be 140 different people. Pretty wild huh!

We had a cool missionary fireside this week and Elder Roberts was in charge of it so when he got transfered it all fell into my hands. Not only that, but our ward mission leader went out of town so it really was all in my hands. A member in League City named Chad Neth came down, and he is a professional singer. He has a couple of songs on the EFY CD's and has done some songs with Michael Mclean. Anyways, he came down to do a musical fireside. It was really good and I had fun making the final preparations! He is a really cool guy and he sings a cool missionary song on the 2006 EFY CD. I had a lot of fun learning how to plan a fireside and I have an extra special appreciation for all the people that planned the firesides growing up, because I realize now how much work it takes! So thanks!

I think one of the things that a lot of people miss while on their missions is ESPN and the big games! We went to a resteraunt on friday for a district lunch and all of us were glued to the TV to get the latest new on the sporting world. It looks like the Lakers are still doing well, so that's good!

I want to say thanks to all the ward members and all my friends and family for writing me all these letters! I am kind of getting behind with writing letters because I have been getting so many, so I will get them out as soon as possible! But I really love hearing how everyone is doing!!

Thanks so much! See y'all soon!

Elder Johnson

No comments: