Tuesday, July 20, 2010

19 July—Manvel, Texas

Hello everyone!

Well things here are going. We have been working hard and working some more. I guess I just hit my hump mark. Well, at least I will in 3 days (July 22). I feel like I am, and forever will be a missionary. I like being a missionary, but I am stuck right in the middle. I have been out for a while, and I still have a while to go. I don't hate the feeling, but I don't love it either. I think it is understandable haha.

My new companion is Elder Henrie. He grew up in Colorado; he then lived in Idaho for 2 years and moved to Utah to go to Utah State for 2 years. If I could sum him up in comparison to some other person I have known before it would be Zach Wetzel. He likes to run, and likes to ride his bike for fun. He likes to read, and is tall and has blond hair. He is pretty funny.

I guess a funny thing that happened to us was last night. He was saying a prayer and at the end of the prayer he said en el nombre de tu hijo amado (In the name of thy beloved son)... escuchalo (Hear him) ....... amen. I started busting up laughing and it was a great memory, and one I will remember forever. The reason why it was so funny is because in the 1st vision it goes este es mi hijo amado escuchalo (This is my beloved son, hear him), and so I started busting up laughing.

He actually speaks Spanish well for a greenie and it's pretty awesome. The only thing that is real hard is he can't understand Spanish very well yet. But he does get about 33 percent of what people say. So, go greenie!

My new role as district leader is pretty tough. I don't know how much I like it or dislike it right now. We just watched some new training movies this week and its called the district 2 and it is about some missionaries in the San Diego mission, and man that made me want to go home! Man, the beach was there they had the San Diego temple. It was just great! The weirdest part of the whole district thing is that there are my companionship and one other companionship in my district. There is a grand total of 4 missionaries woohoo! Hahah smallest district I have been in on my mission.

I have been surviving with the Spanish. On Sunday, I had another funny thing happen. I was sitting next to a member and he started talking to me and asked me something and I didn't get exactly everything he was saying and he is like come on Elder let's go. Your a Mexican. You should be speaking this language easy; it's in your blood. I was like what are you talking about? Then he said, you have the face of a Mexican, and then he holds out his arm and I was almost as tan as he was. He is like, don't lie to me. I know your mom is Mexican. I said my mom is white hermano. Then he tells me, so is mine; my mom is whiter than you are, and she is from Mexico. Then he said maybe your just adopted and we started laughing. I said, I think you could be right, I mean I can already grow the mustache. It was a funny time at church.

Another cool thing that happened this week. We were driving home and my companion was driving and we had to slow down, because the street has a bunch of speed bumps and there was a dog in the road and suddenly this Mexican lady from Monterey waved us down, and asked us if we were missionaries from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and we said we were. Suddenly, she got a little teary eyed and told us her name was hermana Cruz and she had been here in America for 12 days and had been looking for the church and had praying for the Elders or members to come by and she expressed how she wanted to go to church this week and everything. It was really great. She got to church on Sunday and it was awesome!

This Sunday, we should have a baptism! Please pray for Maria Cruz that everything will go smoothly this week. We can use all the help we can get. I love you all and thank you for the letters. They were great.

-Elder Johnson

No comments: